By Wijan Pretorius
Prep this easy and convenient veggie parcel in advance and simply place it on the grill when your coals are ready. When freshly prepared at home, this wrapped parcel will keep well in a cooler box for up to two days. Feel free to experiment with your own, unique combination of vegetables and spices.
Heavy duty aluminium foil
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown mushrooms
- Red and green peppers
- Broccoli (optional)
- Cauliflower (optional)
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Freshly chopped herbs like thyme, rosemary or sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Chop your selection of fresh vegetables into cubes about the size of a proper 30mm boilie.
- Lay down two sheets of heavy duty aluminium foil (the size will depend on the amount of chopped veggies). Place your veggies in the centre and add all the herbs and spices. Be careful not to overdo the spices as all of these great vegetables have a unique taste – all you want to do is enhance, not overpower.
- Season the parcel with salt and pepper, and give it a good drizzle of olive oil. Cover the veggies with another two sheets of foil. Carefully fold the sides together forming a parcel. It can get messy if you rotate the veggies on the braai – so make sure this big boy is well-sealed.
- The parcel can be cooked straight on the coals, but I prefer cooking it on the grill over medium to high heat. Turn it regularly for the flavours to infuse into every little nook and cranny.
- Depending on the heat of your coals, your veggies can take about 30 to 45 minutes to cook nice and soft. If you would like to do a test, carefully open up the foil (be cautious though, as the steam is extremely hot).
Feel free to share any recipes you might have by mailing us at email@example.com or alternatively leave your comments and suggestion below.